Coaching professional church workers in creating their sabbatical experience is one of the most rewarding things I do. My coach training was through Valwood Certified Coaches (2002-2008). George Bullard, Jane Creswell, and Linda Miller, along with other coaches, conducted this training.
In addition to coaching pastors in planning sabbaticals, I also coach church workers who are in transition or conflict situations.
My journey in ministry is an interesting one:
• In college I studied Advertising and Sales Management at Bowling Green University and received a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration. During my summers in college I sold Electrolux vacuum cleaners door to door, which was also an educational experience.
• The influence of my Campus Pastor led me to consider seminary training at Concordia Theological Seminary in Springfield, Ill., graduating in 1971.
• My first call was to begin a mission congregation in Fort Myers, Fla., in 1971. I pastored there until 1979 and assisted in two building campaigns and self-support status for the congregation.
• Senior Pastor of Trinity Lutheran Church and School in Delray Beach, Fla., from 1979 to 1985. The church and school had a wonderful staff of 29 professionals. During that time, we experienced two facility expansions and the purchase of property.
• Senior Pastor of Ascension Lutheran Church and School in Charlotte, NC, from 1986 to 1993. This urban congregation was facing challenges at the time and we partnered in a re-visioning of the ministry that included two expansion and renovation projects.
• In 1993, I joined the staff of the Southeastern District of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod as a Mission and Ministry Facilitator deployed to work with congregations in North and South Carolina. I helped direct mission partnerships and served as a conflict consultant to the District President.
• Since 2002, I have continued ministry as a consultant to congregations and pastors. I participate in conflict intervention, peacemaking and coaching professional church workers in times of change and conflict. As a Staff Associate for Wheat Ridge Ministries (now We Raise Foundation), I managed its Sabbatical Resource Center that has now become this new website in 2018.